Monday, June 29, 2009

What a name! (Silver & Gold Amazing, Monterey Park)

One day someone showed me an article in the LA Times about a restaurant in Monterey Park which grabbed my attention. Naturally my eyes and ears perk up when anything is written about Monterey Park because I was born and raised here. Not too many people can say they were actually born in the city of Monterey Park. Anyways, back to the food. The LA Times article went on to describe this tiny restaurant which turned out excellent noodle dishes, although their name is something left to be desired. WTF is the meaning of Silver & Gold Amazing. There has to be something lost in translation on this one. One thing that wasn't lost in translation are their tasty dishes. Now that me and Mrs. Gohan have a Baby Gohan, we don't get the chance to go out to eat. The only exceptions are places that are relatively close to home and quick. Silver & Gold Amazing is both. The first time we walked in we were pleasantly surprised. We were expecting a hole in the wall, but what we found was a very clean and bright little restaurant which has become of my favorite local places.


Minced Beef Fried Rice
The minced beef fried rice was one of the dishes that was mentioned in the article in the food section of the Times, so we had to give it a try. I don't think that the minced beef was what made this dish good. You could have substituted it with anything and it would have been just as good. Although this was very delicious, I wouldn't say it's my favorite fried rice.


Chow Mein with Shredded Pork & Bean Sprouts
This now has become my favorite chow mein ever! The noodles are super crispy and very tasty. The gravy on top of the chow mein is the icing on the cake. Did I just do that?



I know I've said this before about Chinese restaurants and other type of foods that are better served family style, but it's always better to go in a big group. Otherwise you have to make repeat trips to try everything you want. On this occasion, it was just me, Mrs. Gohan & Baby Gohan. Well, Baby Gohan doesn't really count because she can't eat yet. So we only had room for these two dishes. Although we only got to try these two, it left a very big impression on us. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera and had to make due with my phone.



Silver & Gold Amazing
728 S. Atlantic Blvd #108
Monterey Park, CA. 91754
626-282-8108

No comments: