Monday, March 30, 2009

Old faithful (Curry House, Little Tokyo)

I've been coming here ever since I was 8 years old when they first opened their doors in Little Tokyo back in 1983. I remember when they first opened on the second floor of Weller Court and then they moved up to the third floor and then back down to the second floor. That's how long I've been coming to Curry House in Little Tokyo. And every time I get the same great tasting curry. I remember when my family first came to eat here, we were all excited to see that a new restaurant specialized in curry. Although curry is originally from India, the Japanese have adopted this dish and tweaked it to appeal to the Japanese palate. Curry has truly become embedded in Japanese culture has become a type of comfort food to many Japanese.

Curry House is like Old Faithful. I can always count on having good consistent curry, fast service, and a relatively inexpensive meal. Curry House has been there since my childhood all the way up to my adulthood. And now I'm a father myself. Crazy! I'm getting old.
There is a funny story about Curry House. Years ago, me and my friends used to work in Little Tokyo. Man...those were some fun times, but anyways...It was one of our best friend's birthday so we all decided to go take him out for dinner after work, so we decided to go to Curry House because it was good and within walking distance. His birthday happens to fall in the month of June, which unbeknownst to us at that time, also coincided with Curry House's special Anniversary special. The Katsu-Curry was only a few dollars. So our friend was like "thanks guys for splurging on me". Laughing our asses off, we told him he could order as many as he liked :) I think we only chipped in a couple of dollars each. To this day he won't let us forget how cheap we were by taking him there for his birthday dinner. And because of that incident I will never forget that in the middle of June is when Curry House has their Anniversary special.


Corn Potage
Curry House's corn potage (from the French, meaning a thick soup) which is the fancy way of saying corn chowder is one of the best corn soups I've ever eaten. The corn potage is creamy, savory, and absolutely delicious.


Chicken Katsu Curry
Notice anything different here? That's right there's no salad on my order. For those who know me, know that I'm an anti-salad type of guy. I always opt for more gohan (rice) in lieu of the green stuff. Curry House's chicken katsu curry is consistently good and is what I ALWAYS order.



Curry House
123 S. Onizuka St. #204
Los Angeles, CA. 90012
213-620-0855

No comments: