Monday, September 29, 2008

Kill 3 birds with 1 stone? (Mastro's Steakhouse, Costa Mesa)

Kill 3 birds with 1 stone? I know that sounds weird, but that's what we did. We were celebrating both my niece's and my wife's birthdays. You may ask yourself "well, where's the third you're talking about?" Well the third one is that I've been wanting to eat a Mastro's Steakhouse for quite some time now. And finally we got to go :) I've heard nothing but good chatter about Mastro's so it's been really tempting me. Was it worth the wait and did it live up to my expectations? The answer to both of those question is an emphatic YES!

Some of my family members have been to the Mastro's in Beverly Hills, so they decided that they wanted to try the Costa Mesa location. Either way was fine by me, it could of been all the way down in San Diego for all I cared, as long as I got to try it. I have nothing to compared it to, but the Costa Mesa location was quite large and very nice. They even had a live band playing some nice tunes as well. My mother took my nephew and niece over to go watch the band perform and they even go to up and play the maracas with the band! They were all excited and had a lot of fun! Another fun thing that evening took place in the restroom. When I went with nephew to the restroom he told me that there was a man in there who opens the doors for you and other stuff as well. Upon exiting there restroom the attendant handed us paper towels to dry our hands and opened the door for us. Seeing the look on my nephew's face was priceless. He was beside himself. He then whispered to me "uncle, they treat us like we're kings" I thought that was cool that he got that much enjoyment from that experience. I'll remember that forever! But the best thing of the night was being there with my family and celebrating two very special girls in my life.


Crab Cakes
I know that I'm slightly biased, but the one served at Alpenrose is much better than the one served here. I should really stop trying crab cakes at other restaurants. Don't get me wrong...the one at Mastro's is definitely very good.


Colossal Onion Rings
Look...I didn't title these onion rings as colossal on my own. That's what they're really called and for good reason. These onion rings are truly Colossal and good. One order of these can definitely feed the whole table.


Shoestring Potatoes

One thing that should be said about Mastro's is that you really get what you pay for...in portion and in quality. This order of shoestring potatoes were absurdly plentiful and scrumptious.


Toasted Cheese Ravioli
I think by the time the toasted cheese raviolis came we knew we were in way over our heads on this one. Our main course had not even come out and we were all saying that we were getting full. These raviolis were delicious though. I still ate two of them :) Everyone was in agreement that the sauce was what made this appetizer sooo good.


2004 Harlan Estate
As if this night wasn't indulgent enough, my brother who should be named "Mr. Vino" brought this 2004 Harlan Estate wine from his collection. For those who are wine aficionados, you will know that this wine is not only good but very expensive as well. Thanks big bro for sharing!


Chilled Crab Legs
Ever since my wife has been pregnant, she's had this food aversion towards red meat. She used to love eating good steak but now she just can't get herself to eating it. Poor soul! So in lieu of eating beef, she opted to order the appetizer portion of the King Crab Legs. The crab legs were excellent. I am not much of crab eater but they really sweet and delicious. If all crab tasted like this I would eat it more often. Another thing we learned that night was that my nephew really likes crab legs. He kept on asking for more :)


Bone In Filet
Unbeknownst to me, the Bone In Filet is Mastro's signature steak and understandably. Lucky me...several people decided on the filet so I was able to sample :) Granted I rarely order filets but I would have to say that this might have been the best filet I've ever had.


"Chef's Cut" Bone In Ribeye with Creamed Corn & Gorgonzola Mac n' Cheese
I was debating whether or not to get the "Chef's Cut" or the regular portion of the Bone In Ribeye. As you can see here, I decided on the bigger cut. I couldn't manage the whole 33oz, but I did take some home and ate it with shoyu (soy sauce) and gohan (rice) the next day :) That was the best! Two of the sides that we ordered for the whole table was the Creamed Corn and the Gorgonzola Mac n' Cheese. I like to call Mastro's Creamed Corn the "Kick Ass Creamed Corn". That was really good! The Gorgonzola Mac n' Cheese sounded better than it actually was :( The steak on the other hand, was just phenomenal! After some thought and deliberation, I would have to say this was most definitely the second best steak house just slightly behind Wolfgang Puck's CUT. I now could see why there is so much chatter about how good the food is at Mastro's Steakhouse.


Creme Brule
The creme brule was really good and plentiful!


Carrot Cake
This carrot cake was the complimentary dessert for celebrating the birthdays. I am not the least the carrot cake fan, but it was okay. And I guess for me to say it was okay, it must have been pretty good.


Warm Butter Cake
This is definitely the best dessert at Mastro's! The warm butter cake is soooo good that you know that it can't be good for anyone's diet. The cake tastes buttery sweet and the ice cream balances the whole thing out. Oh so good!



Mastro's Steakhouse
633 Anton Blvd
Costa Mesa, CA. 92626
714-546-7405

No comments: