Monday, January 12, 2009

What a surprise! (Zippy's, Maui)

Before me and the Mrs. embarked on our babymoon trip to Maui, I researched and made a list of all the different places I wanted to eat at. And luckily for me, we pretty much got to try every place on my list and one in particular that wasn't on my list. What a surprise! On the way to Tasaka Guri Guri, we drove past Zippy's. We couldn't believe our eyes. "Mrs. Gohan" actually made a loud screech while I was driving. "oh my god" she screamed, scaring the crap out of me. I was like, "what? did I almost hit something?" She said, "no, there's a Zippy's" We were both pretty happy and shocked. We never knew that Zippy's was now in Maui. Luckily for us, it was finished a couple of months before our trip. So naturally we had to veer from my original master plan of dining to eat some Zippy's.
I have to say, this Zippy's was absolutely beautiful! I know it's kind of weird getting all geeked out about a Zippy's, but I couldn't help it. The place looked very clean and new and it was PACKED! I couldn't believe how many people were lined up to order. The line never stopped. The door might as well have been a turnstile. I guess all the locals in Maui were pretty happy about Zippy's opening up too! I would highly recommend this place to grab a quick bite or to even take it on the airplane for a meal. Sure beats airplane food :)



Chili Rice
"Mrs. Gohan" went to her good old standard....Chili Rice. Everytime we go to Zippy's, she frequently orders the chili rice. I know that you can buy Zippy's chili at places like Marukai Market, but it's just not the same. It tastes so much better at an actual Zippy's.


Chili Moco
For some reason, I was being really indecisive this day and I didn't know what to order. When I finally made up my mind, we got up to the register to order and then I saw this sign with a new menu item. The sign said chili moco. What could be better? I absolutely love loco moco (hamburger patty over rice with gravy) and I love chili rice. This sounded like it was too good to be true. And let me tell you, this was freaking great! I would almost have to say that I like this better than a standard loco moco. Wow! To this day I still wish we had a Zippy's here on the mainland so that I could eat one of these.


Apple Naples
Inside every Zippy's is a Napoleon's Bakery. And when you go there you got to try an Apple Naple. They are the best! They are light, flaky, and delicious. I remember one time I was coming home from Oahu by myself and Mrs. Gohan made me take a box home. And when I was on the airplane there was no room for me to keep these, so I had to carry them on my lap the whole flight home. It was misery, except when I got home and ate one :)



Zippy's
15 Hookele Street
Kahului, Maui, HI. 96732
808-856-7599

No comments: