Monday, September 22, 2008

A night of excess alcohol (Maggiano's Little Italy, Los Angeles)

Let me start off by saying, I haven't taken that many shots in awhile. On this particular night we were celebrating one of my best friend's birthday and did we ever celebrate. Although I would have preferred that it stayed a celebration of my friends birthday, but it so happened this was the first time that we all got together after everyone hearing that me and "Mrs. Gohan" were expecting our first child (Baby Gohan). So as you can imagine that night was full of celebrations. Even the bartender hooked us up some healthy shots and even gave me a "special" shot. He actually poured me a shot of a more expensive cognac and charged us for less :) Every time I get together with my friends I always leave thinking we should do this more often.....DAMN "adult" life and all of our responsibilities. Perhaps it's all for the better, maybe we'll party too much and we'd all be bums. Lucky for me though, after diner "Mrs. Gohan" and I went home, but my friends continued the party back at home and I guess things got a little hectic. LMAO. Yo G.... remind me that you're not invited to any "house warming" parties anymore. LOL

Maggiano's first of all was really hard for me to find. I haven't been here in years and I got a little lost walking around The Grove. After finally arriving there I was a bit surprised that it wasn't as crowded as I had remembered it. Perhaps the economy pinch is affecting everyone. But the food was decent. Like always it seems like when you get together with some friends, the food somehow takes a back seat to interaction with friends. All I remember is that we ordered way too much food.

Bruschetta
We started off the night by ordering some appetizers and decided on this brushetta. The brushetta was very nice. The bread was nice and crunchy and the tomatoes relish was very refreshing and a good start to the night.


Calamari Fritte
I usually don't eat calamari but I tend to eat stuff I usually don't order when I go in large groups. I guess that's one of the benefits of eating in a large group. I don't have to get stuck with a whole order of something I usually don't order. The calamari fritte was very nicely prepared. They were very tasty!


Stuffed Mushrooms
Couldn't they have come up with a better name? Many of the other menu items have nice fancy Italian names for the items. I guess I'll forgive them this time, but they should really come up with a "fancy" name. These stuffed mushrooms which are cooked in white wine and chicken broth are really delicious. They were juicy and really tasty!


Lobster Ravioli
I just love the creaminess and richness of lobster raviolis and Maggiano's is no exception. My biggest gripe with lobster raviolis or lobster bisques is that it tends to be too rich for a whole meal, that's why I like when other people order it or when the whole table orders it to share.


Angel Hair, Coach Joey Z's Pomodoro Sauce
Unfortunately I don't remember too much about this dish other than that it was decent. And who the hell is Coach Joey Z?


Prime New York Strip
I'd have to say that this was the best entree of the night. The New York Strip was very tender and juicy. The steak was perfectly seasoned and I especially liked that they finish the steak off with garlic butter. There are some things in my book that make anything taste better and garlic and butter happen to be on that list.


Braised Beef Cannelloni
I think they need to something with the presentation of this dish. This dish was okay. I love braised beef, but I thought that it was a little too salty and extremely rich and heavy. It just sounded too good to pass up, but I guess was only slightly right.



Maggiano's Little Italy
189 The Grove Drive Z80
Los Angeles, CA. 90036
323-965-9665

No comments: