Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Rolling the Dice (Foo Foo Tei, Monterey Park)

There is hardly an occasion where I crave ramen, but when I do, I like to get my fix at Foo Foo Tei in Monterey Park. You see, I am not the type of person that's going to drive very far to go eat ramen. I much rather go somewhere local to get my fix. Years ago, I actually lived in Tenri city in Japan for a short period. In Tenri there were a couple of places that only opened late at night that served GREAT ramen. Tenri is famous for a ramen called sutamina ramen. This was the only ramen to date that I'd actually walk miles to eat. Ever since then, I really haven't had a ramen that I feel that's worth the drive. That's the reason why I like to go Foo Foo Tei. Another thing I like about Foo Foo Tei is the variety of other dishes I could order along with my ramen. For the most part the food here is pretty decent. Their katsu curry (pork cutlet curry), mabo tofu (spicy tofu and pork dish), chicken wings, and gyoza (dumplings) are all pretty good. If I had my choice I'd much rather eat ramen at places like Koraku or Orochon in Little Tokyo or Hakata Ramen in Rosemead, but the convenience of Foo Foo Tei makes this place more enticing. Eating here is like rolling the dice. You never really know what you're going to get. For the most part it is pretty consistent and occasionally really good. But the last time I was here, I rolled the dice and crapped out. I ordered the mini katsu-don (pork cutlet rice bowl) and miso ramen. The katsu-don was just okay, but my miso ramen was terrible. The noodles were over cooked and soggy and the soup was lifeless. Luckily for my wife, her yasai ramen (vegetable ramen) was decent. Will I come back and try my luck? For the fact that it is really convenient and that I had many good meals here, I think I could forgive them this time.






Foo-Foo-Tei
750 S. Atlantic Blvd.
Monterey Park, CA
626-588-2010

No comments: