Monday, January 5, 2009

It's definitely goodie goodie! (Tasaka Guri Guri, Maui)

Tasaka Guri Guri
After we ate at Da Kitchen we went to the Makena Beach for a nice relaxing day and we decided that on the way back to Lahaina we could swing by the famous Tasaka Guri Guri. Boy....was it worth it! I've heard about this place but never tried it. And now that I've tried it, I'd definitely come back. But next time I am going to order a bigger portion :) For those who have never heard of Guri Guri it's similar to a sherbet. And from what I read on someone's blog (Ono Kine Grindz), the term guri guri dates back to when Japanese immigrants used to work on the plantation fields. And somewhere in the translation the term goodie goodie became guri guri. All I know is that this little treat is definitely good.....or shall I say goodie!


2 Scoops (mixed up)
Me and the Mrs. were very curious to see what all the fuss was about. And to our satisfaction we left very happy and a bit sad. Happy that it was sooo good, but sooo sad that we weren't going to be able to eat this for a long time. We ordered 2 scoops of the guri guri. We ordered the mixed guri guri of strawberry and pineapple. The only complaint we had was that we both felt we should have ordered more! I felt that the strawberry was actually much better. It truly seems like a cross between a sherbet and ice cream with a nice airiness to it. It truly is refreshing and it tastes great! I just can't wait to come back to Maui and make a stop a Tasaka Guri Guri!



Tasaka Guri Guri
70 East Ka'ahumanu Ave
Kahului, Maui, HI. 96732
808-871-4513

No comments: