Monday, June 30, 2008

Spam Katsu Musubi (Ono Grill, Monterey Park)

Rarely will I ever just blog only on a side dish, but at Ono Grill in Montery Park, not to be confused with Ono Hawaiian BBQ, serves up the BEST spam musubi and deserves its own write up. I used to come to this establishment way before it became Ono Grill, and it was always good. In my opinion the one thing that separates them from all other "Hawaiian/Japanese" restaurants, is their Spam Katsu Musubi. I have yet to come across any restaurant that serves a better spam musubi. Yeah there might be place that serve up a better loco moco or kalua pork, but No One can come close to their spam katsu musubi. For those that are not familiar with spam musubi. Simply put... its likened to a spam sushi. The spam is typically seared and is placed in between rice and rolled with nori (seaweed), but there are many variations of this simple dish. Spam musubis make for the best travelling snack or meal. It travels well and is very easy to pick up and eat. Ono Grill's version is they coat the spam in panko (Japanese bread crumbs) and is deep fried and then coated with a teriyaki sauce. Typically I do not care for sauces on my spam musubi. I like mine plain and simple, but this is to die for. The sauce is definitely not over powering. I don't know what their secret is, but it is darn good. Believe me this is to die for!!!


Spam Katsu Musubi



Ono Grill
1975 Portrero Grande Drive
Monterey Park, CA. 91755
626-573-3803

2 comments:

mattatouille said...

nice! I love spam musubi. I'll be sure to check that place out if I'm ever in Monterey Park.

Mr. Gohan said...

Thanks matthew k for your comments. Let me know what you think of the spam musubi